Global Outlook

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Master of None has a short story "symposium". Here's my submitted micro story.

A Life Lived

I really hate my life. Most days are just dark, but there is the occasional bright day. I like those best and wish I had more of them, but it's not something I feel I can control.

I don't do much except work in the morning and at night. Work is all that keeps me going, but I'm afraid it's wearing me out. Without someone to keep me company, I'm afraid I'm going to snap any day. However, just the other day, the standoffish cat finally decided he would play with me. That made me very happy while it lasted. It really brightened up my day and I hope he lets down his guard again.

Of course, I do have a lot of time to think as I sit in my ivory tower of sorts. Since I don't get out much, all I really think about is my situation, which just gets me down. One day, inspiration will strike and that single thought gets me to the next day.

Ah, he's home. I hear him coming this way... He usually visits my room when he first arrives. Ouch. That light really hurts when you're not expecting it. What's that crinkling sound? I'm still seeing stars and can't make out what he has in his hands. It looks like he's coming for me! This is not part of the routine at all. I'm not due to work for another couple hours, yet. I hope he's OK.

Now I can see again. He's got something in his hands - tall and slender and he's putting it down next to me. It looks strangely familiar, but I can't recall what it might be. Look! There's writing! It says, "G-U-M."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home