Global Outlook

Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Only 2 months since my last post. Maybe there's hope for this weblog yet... I can dream.

The "Roadmap" seems doomed to failure at this point. I mean, now it's obvious. The Palestinians have stated that they will not dismantle the terrorist groups (who are using the "hudna" as an opportunity to rearm and recruit) which is the first point of the roadmap. There were 160+ terror attempts this last month according to the Jerusalem Post. They have done little to stop the incitement to violence in the territories. In the meantime, they claim that Israel isn't releasing enough Palestinian prisoners (where is this in the roadmap?! Abbas has the nerve to say that "It is.") and the security wall being errected is "racist" and a sign that the two peoples cannot coexist (like suicide bombers aren't).

Meanwhile, Israel is dismantling settler outposts, taking down checkpoints, and handing over security of major parts of Gaza and the West Bank. I'm not sure if we should be counting months, weeks, or days until the IDF is forced to reoccupy these areas, but I fear it is inevitable.

The situation is hopeless until the Palestinians take a harder look at themselves.

I am in Jerusalem now and am struck by the number of security personnel employed by everybody from small cafes to the national bus line. There are security guards on some buses and others that patrol bus routes in cars. There are security guards at the entrance to malls and more security guards inside. Half the country must be employed as security. Peace will be bad for the economy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home